Thursday, July 5, 2012

Fire happens - and other bad things as well.

Things here are dry.  Really dry.  The only reason people have lawns is because they run sprinklers all the time.  When you talk to people here they are astounded that back East you can have 100 degree weather, not use sprinklers, and still have a lawn.  Idaho was part of the Desert Land Act which was established to "encourage and promote the economic development of the arid and semiarid public lands of the Western United States."  Basically, the land was so dry and seemingly unappealing the government decided to give people 320 acres or less for free if they paid the cost of irrigating the land for agricultural use.  Idaho has the second highest accidental drowning rate for 1-5 year olds partly because of all the irrigation canals that are around.  So you get the picture - it is dry.  Don't get me wrong, things seem to grow well here, they just need water.  The sun is great and plentiful - but I could count on one hand how many times it has rained since we've moved here.  We had a great rain barrel in Maryland that we used, but it would be pretty much pointless here. 

The dry, arid environment is also a breeding ground for fires.  Just the other week there were at least two hay fires from spontaneous combustion in the Boise area.  I think they estimated one at a $60,000+ loss for the farmer.  Such a different environment. 

Fireworks are totally legal in Idaho as well - although I was told they aren't allowed in the foothills.  I know Chris was tempted to stop at one of the MANY tents set up in preparation for the 4th of July, but it just didn't feel right knowing how dry everything is around here. 

The other day I stepped out in the backyard to hang some diapers and smelled smoke.  Then saw an "off-road" fire truck driving by and connected that with the sirens I heard earlier.  There was a grass fire somewhat nearby.  It was a quickly contained little fire, but it still gets you thinking.  Chris chatted with a coworker that lives near us and a neighbor and there was a fire several years ago that included a fatality and several houses burning down - they were evacuated and everything. 


Photo from Wildfiretoday.com of the Columbia Village fire.

I brought up that I think we should have an "evacuation" trunk ready if there were ever an issue.  It just seems to be a reality of living in this area, so it just makes sense to be prepared for it.  We've always talked about having "bug-out" bags ready and do a pretty good job of being "prepared" - but always seem to stall when it comes to actually putting the bag together.  I should probably start with a list......

Do you have a bag prepared if you need to leave your home or if some natural disaster strikes?  I know our friends and family back East are STILL dealing with the aftermath of the Derecho they had late last week.  What if an even more serious event happened?  Do you really have water and food and MEDICATIONS to last you?  Sometimes you don't know when you'll get that power back.  If you have kids - do you have diapers and formula on hand?  That is one reason I like using cloth diapers - I'm prepared if I can't get to the store or if there is an event that would prevent me from being able to buy some.  Same thing with breastfeeding - I knew I would be able to feed my child and not have the concern of needing formula if something happened.  It just makes sense to me and is one less thing I would have to worry about.  Big storms happen.  Wildfires happen.  Riots happen.  Never say never.  Just be prepared for if they happen to you.

That is all.  Carry on! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Did a post on bug out bags last year. I'll admit that I don't have it all in the bag yet, but I have it in the house. Stocked up enough to feed the family for weeks if needed. Emergencies do make us reassess where we are and what we need to do. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got stuff all over the house - and a mildly loaded trunk - but not nearly as organized as it should be. The thought of ever having to evacuate for a potential fire makes you realize you might not have any time to really gather it all together - you might need it ready to go asap. Then also making sure we have enough extra food for the animals as well. We also don't have enough water on hand - this heat and pregnancy also makes you realize how much you really need. Plan on working on getting better organized with it next week. Maybe do a post on it.

      Delete