Thursday, July 12, 2012

Family Hike Night - Idaho City - BUST

Well, we did a family hike last week.  It ended up being on Saturday morning, rather than an evening one.  It has been so hot, and the highest temperatures come pretty late in the day here, so we were hoping a morning one would be cooler.  We headed up to Idaho City, in search of a trail with tree coverage.  Well - let's just say it didn't go as smoothly as we would have wanted. 

I was hot, and hormonal and ended up making it clear that I did not feel it was appropriate for me to be hiking in those temperatures, especially when we got half way through and realized the other half of the trail was full sun exposure. That on top of having to finish it in a certain amount of time since we had obligations later in the day was just too much for me and I turned right around and headed back the way we came.  As any woman that has been pregnant will tell you, we probably feel at LEAST ten degrees warmer than usual at all times, not including when we get hot flashes and feel even warmer!  We also have to drink more water to stay hydrated and I have asthma, which can lead to other issues.  I realize I should have said "no" outright, before we embarked on a hike, rather than quietly voicing concerns and just trying to make my little family happy. 

While the hike was basically a bust, I had told Little Lady she could have ice cream afterwards, so we stopped by an ice cream place in Idaho City.


It just seems like it is spelled wrong.  I dunno.


I got photo bombed.


It's like an old West town.


There was a biker gang getting ice cream too.


I believe little lady had a huckleberry type flavor.


Chris had to test hers to make sure it tasted okay.  He got a strawberry cheesecake one - guess he knew I'd be willing to have some of his....

Very good ice cream!  They also put a jelly belly in the bottom of the cones to keep it from leaking out. 


So, given that the temps have been in the 100's all week and the weather forecasts are actually "Smokey and triple digits" - yes, that is for real - the family hike night will probably be placed on hold for a while.  This week we are doing family pool night - tonight actually, to cool off from the projected 105 degree high.  I'm also going to have to slow down in the coming weeks/months.  We'll have to figure out something to keep us busy and doing family activities - but keep us cool at the same time.  Suggestions?


2 comments:

  1. Pool!!! Or that beachy lake place you went to!!
    and OHHH i feel you! I had contractions from 6 months and on with Atom. Drink Lots and Lots of water and take it easy in the evenings when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not all family activities have to be outdoors. Craft time, making something for the baby, board games could all be good activities for when it's too hot to be outside. We used to go to the "local" mall when Allison was little and just walk around the place. Air conditioned, two fountains, and a food court. I don't think we even went inside any of the stores, just used it as an indoor walk. :O)

    ReplyDelete