Friday, November 1, 2013

Back East

I've get to get this post done. Seriously. Otherwise no other posts will ever happen.
They will get caught up in the giant traffic jam that is DC.
No one wants traffic.
That brings me (FINALLY) to our visit back East.
 
Our little Boise family goes to Washington!
 
Well, I went.  With the kids.  Papa had to stay home and work.
 
 
He was kind enough to take us to the airport and see us off for our super early flight.
Little Lady was EXCITED.  Giddy.  Beside herself with joy.

 
We got through all the check ins and security and boarded the plane.  Everyone was great.  We were waved through to the line the pilots and crew use and everyone was very patient and helpful.  Seeing a woman hauling two kids by herself through airports thankfully brought out the nice side of people.
 
 
Little Lady had her own seat and Little Man rode with me, strapped into our Ergo.  Thankfully they each took naps on the plane.  Pretty uneventful.  The first flight was the long one and Little Lady did have to take a potty break.  It was a bit scary - very loud - but she was much more willing to use it when I told her she could have a candy necklace I had tucked away if she did.

 
We refueled before our next flight.  This guy likes Jamba Juice. Careful not to hold him while you're drinking it.  He will rip it out of your hand and spill it all over you.

 
We finally arrived in DC!  Little Lady said she wanted to meet "the driver" so I asked in the front if she could meet the pilot.  He was standing right there and told her she could take a look at the cockpit.  He even let her sit in the seat!  Coolest pilot ever!
 
My Mother picked us up and took us to my Aunt's house and we spent that evening hanging out with family.
 
The next day we visited Papa's parents.

 
Little Lady got in some play time with Grandpa Ted and Grandma Gigi, as well as Aunt Kiki.
Lots of fun can be had with balls of yarn!

 
We enjoyed a nice pot of baby stew for lunch.

 
Doesn't that just make you smile?

 
We wrapped up our visit and headed up to my Mother's house.
 
Little Lady got a glimpse of the mini homestead life.

 
Chickens!


 
We got "settled" in and some not so restful sleep before heading to our old stomping grounds, Frederick, to visit with some friends.

 
We drove by the old place.  Looked good.  All our handiwork has held up.  I realized we totally left a wind chime on the front porch.  It was still there.  I figured it was too late to run up and get it.

 
We then went to Beans and Bagels!  That was our favorite place to go when we lived there.  Nothing better than walking there for breakfast and a cup of coffee.  We got to see Lisa, who has been winning her battle with breast cancer!  Rich was not in, but we were able to stop by the next day and see him!

 
She was more than happy to dive into this.  This Little Lady was not paleo on this trip.
 
Next was a trip to the park to catch up with more friends!


Little Man had lots of first time introductions to take care of!
 
 
We then headed to the pool to cool off.  Did I mention it was in the high 90's?  That would be nothing, considering we are regularly in the 100's, but the humidity....ugh, the humidity.

 
Little Lady had a great time catching up with old friends.

 
Little Man had new friends to meet!

 
So.....stinking.....cute.
 
Then it was back to the chickens!


 
Cluck, cluck, cluck.
 
The next morning we headed back towards the DC area and met with some more friends for a play date.  Then off to lunch with old coworkers, then a visit with a friend in a rehab center, then back north for dinner.  Yeah, a little busy.

 
I just have to take a moment to touch on the traffic.  I couldn't help but keep thinking, why do people put up with this??????  I did for so long.  Why?  Trust me, there is a better life out there!  It is scary, it is daunting, but making that break is so rewarding.  Life should not be spent in a car.
Sermon over.
 
 
That night we had dinner with my Brother and Dad.  We got to see my Brother's new house.
 
 
They got to meet Little Man for the first time.
 
Then it was back to my Aunt's house for the night.
 
Have I mentioned how incredibly busy we were? 
 
The next day we met up with my sister, after some morning play time with my cousins! 
 

 
We picked up my sister, who had been awesome enough to lend us her car for the week, and Little Lady finally got to meet Mrs. Norris.  No cats were harmed in the making of this picture.
 
We then had lunch with Papa's nephew and niece, Teddy and Hannah.

 
They got to do some playing in the fountains too.

 
Then it was off for a park visit with more friends!

 
When did we grow up?  Seriously.
 
THEN we had a birthday party to go to!  Yes, I seriously scheduled every freaking minute of this trip.  If I didn't get a chance to see you, sorry, I really tried my hardest.  It was NON STOP.

 
We won the prize for traveling the farthest for his party!

 
Happy we were able to make it!  Love how the internet keeps us all connected!
 
Then it was back to my Aunt's house and then I went out BY MYSELF for dinner with my lady friends!  Yes!  Mama time! 
 
At this point, we are all married and have busy lives, so it didn't even seem like I lived on the other side of the country.  It was just as if we've all been busy and finally had a night to catch up.  It was great to hear how everyone was doing and what everyone was up to.  Two more babies on the way! One of which has been born now!

 
We asked a waiter to take a picture.  Eh.

 
Take two outside didn't work out much better.  Next time I'll have to bring an actual camera for a picture rather than just my phone.
 
The next day was Sunday, so we were off to church with my sister.  We enjoyed a mass said by an old friend and then headed to brunch.

 
Good times.
 
We then had to pick up our rental car and head to the beach!
 
With a stop on the way to visit one of our fave families!

 
The kids got some time together and we enjoyed some WONDERFUL crab soup!

 
The fish were pretty cool too.
 
Then we finished out trip to Rehoboth.  Are you tired yet?  I'm exhausted just recalling all of that.
It was now time to slow it all down and relax.

 
This lady is the picture of relaxation.  So fun to sleep with.
 

After catching up with G-ma that morning we headed to the beach for some time in the sand.
 

 
His first time at the beach!!!!  He was born as a land-locked baby!!

 
She missed it.  She just rolled around in the sand.  And then I caught her pouring sand on her face and in her ear.  Yes, her ear.  Who does that?  That was fun to clean off.
 
We then swung by the bike shop my Aunt and Uncle work at and rented a trailer to use for the week.  Sounds reasonable, right?  I could just ride the bike to the beach, hauling the kids around beach drivers, avoiding paying for parking.  Over...Achiever.  But hey, it helped me get my workouts in.

 
Please don't hit me.....please don't hit me.....please don't hit me....

 
We enjoyed some simple time at the beach, waiting for more family to arrive.

 
Cousin time!

 
The kids took to their cousins (well, mine technically) just fine.
 

 
They kept us company at the beach too.

 
More family arrived and he got to meet his Godfather for the first time!!!!
 
 
We got in lots of beach time.
 
 
He loved it.

 
We got lots of family time in too.
 
 
Getting his feet wet.

 
Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutch.
 
 
Lots of people to help keep an eye on the kids!
 
 
Little lady's interest in gymnastics was reignited.
 
 
 
 
 
She is seriously a gazelle.
 
We also got in some boardwalk time.

 
We visited Fun Land!

 
He watched her go round and round, waiting for her to go by each time!

 
She kept asking to go to the "playground" on the boardwalk all week.
 
Then it was time for the "reunion"!  It was basically a belated 80th birthday celebration for my Grandmother.
 

 
A classy lady and Mother to EIGHT children.

 
They all live in different areas of the country now, but remain pretty close and everyone pretty much gets along.
 
 
We celebrated by doing what anyone living near the Chesapeake Bay would do - Crab Feast!

 
She can still pick 'em like a pro.
 
Then it was time for some games!
 

 
Donut eating races!

 
She took a turn too.

 
 
Little Lady was very excited about singing and cake.

 
 
G-ma didn't disappoint.
 
 
It was nice to see most of my cousins, Aunts and Uncles (missed the ones that couldn't make it). 

 
Very happy Little Man got to meet G-ma.

 
Four Generations.
 
And then it was time to head home.

 
She got her wings on the way back home.

 
 
 
 
Then it was back to the Boise Life.

 


2 comments:

  1. Hi CMK mama. My husband is considering accepting a job offer in Boise at St. Alphonsus. We live in the Atlanta area (close to all our family and friends) and potentially moving to Boise both terrifies me and excites me. I stumbled upon your blog while I was researching life in Boise, and I want to thank you for making me feel a bit better about life there far away from family. Is there a way I can email you? I like to hear a little bit more about how you like Boise. I promise I'm not some kind of crazy stalker!
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! Email me at cmkstudios@gmail.com. I'd be happy to help you in any way I can.

      Delete