Sunday, January 13, 2013

Going Paleo

Have you heard of the paleo diet?  AKA Hunter Gatherer, Caveman, Paleolithic?  It is basically a style of eating that is basically "if cavemen didn't have access to it, don't eat it."  I'd heard about it before and thought it was interesting, but never went further.  Chris actually brought up that he wanted to give it a try.  It is supposed to have a significant impact on many aspects of overall health and naturally correct certain issues such as high cholesterol, high triglyceride levels, and high bp, just to name a few.  It is also supposed to help prevent plaque caused diseases, like atherosclerosis and alzheimers amyloid plaques.  I said we'd give it a try for a month, see how we feel, see if it is doable and go from there.



So, we've gone Paleo.



And I think this is going to be a permanent change.



What does it entail? 

Well, no grains. So, no bread, no pasta, no rice, no oatmeal, no quinoa. No dairy, no butter.  No soy either.  No sugar.  No beans.  No legumes.

 
Paleo coffee (I know, it's a stretch).  No sugar, no creamer.



Yes to meats, fish, veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds and honey.

So steak and bacon and eggs......hmmmmm, wonder why Chris was so willing to try it. :)




I'm not as strict with Little Lady, kind of easing her into it, but I have been rather surprised by the changes in her.  She hasn't been having massive tantrums.  She isn't putting up huge fights to go to bed at night.  I'm a rather skeptical person, but I'm realizing there might be something to this whole gluten thing.  She has been super "lovey" - giving hugs and wanting to cuddle.  It was an adjustment at first, but she is actually eating her veggies now - there is no other option.  This girl is also a steak eater - she loves her red meat - so that is working out just fine for her.

 
Enjoying her cauliflower and red pepper omelet with mango and kiwi.


We also have a freezer full of grass fed beef and venison - just right for the paleo lifestyle.  I had mentioned we were going to buy a 1/4 cow.  We did.  We went with Hardtrigger Canyon.  A nice, family run local place.  We've been pleased. 



I will say it takes a good deal of prep.  I get bulk fruit and veggies and process them - freezing some and having some cut and ready in the fridge.  Chris got me an awesome dehydrator for Christmas and I'll be using that to make snacks we can have on hand while we are out and about.  I actually just made my first batch of venison jerky! 

There are lots of things you can use to replace things.  Like almond meal replaces traditional flour.  Coconut oil can replace butter.  Tamari replaces soy sauce.  Almond milk and coconut milk replace milk.  Not a cheap way of eating though....


So far, we're feeling good.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Chris is finally off soda.  That is huge.   He said this is the longest he has gone without a soda in over 15 years.  I haven't had soda in several weeks.  Seriously, that stuff is a drug.  Sugars too. 

 
Getting creative with it.  A good way to get Little Lady to eat her greens....


Chris will have blood work done in a couple weeks and we'll see how everything looks and go from there!  I do think we will be doing this, or at least most of this, lifestyle for the long term.  We'll keep you updated!

I shared two favorite recipes we've come across on my other blog, craftymamak.blogspot.com.  I've gotten it put together a bit better now.  Feel free to share it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment