Tuesday, August 7, 2012

To Doula.......or not to Doula.......

So - we're pretty much on our own here.  Stress has started now that I've been thinking about leaving Little Lady with someone overnight while Bambino is delivered.  I have never been away from her overnight - or for longer than a workday.  We have finally, hopefully, found someone to help watch her sometimes.  She will be hanging out with us for three hours on Friday so I can show her where everything is and how I handle things and so on.  Our neighbor has offered to help when we need to head to the hospital, as well as someone from church, but each of them has their own children and I know they will have other obligations as well.  We will figure out schedules so hopefully they can help some and the BSU student  we are working with will be able to help too. 

That's all we've got.  Which leaves me a bit apprehensive about delivery as well.  Chris is great, but the reality is he is very busy right now and has limited experience with natural birth and doesn't really have the time to do much research on it right now.  That leaves me thinking Doula.  I've had people suggest one as a source of support during delivery and I haven't heard any bad experiences with them.  I asked at my appt yesterday and the midwives are more than happy to work with one.  I'm waiting on a call back from my midwife about if she has a specific one she prefers to work with.  Then I'll have to see if they have availability (starting this kinda late) and how much they cost - ugh.  I guess if I can avoid an epidural, we'll save money - but some things are out of our control and if I need a C-section that will be an entirely different cost. 

The reality is, I want this to be a pleasant experience for all of us, I don't want Little Lady neglected, I don't want Chris stressing out (and stressing me out), and I really wouldn't mind having a little support just for myself if I need it.  Part of me feels that it is a rather yuppie thing to do, but being without friends and family can make this whole process stressful enough.  I guess I've made up my mind - I just need to figure out how it all works and how much it all costs.  Wish me luck!  It's going to be a very busy next several weeks!!!

****Update: Just in case it was confusing or not clear, a Doula would come to the hospital with us, it doesn't mean we would do a home birth.  I honestly have no desire whatsoever to clean up after that or fight the dog away from inspecting......***


On another note - we've been asked by a couple people if we had a registry, we did not.  We went ahead and made one on Amazon.com.  We really do have most things we need.  We have tons of clothes to start with.  I'm holding off on getting bigger sizes/warmer seasons 'till we know how big he will be.  I did put a few things on the list for me for postpartum and a couple items for Little Lady.  Just things we could use or would be nice (a big sister shirt!!).  Gift cards are also always good!  Cooking probably won't be #1 on my list and Chris is going to be busy literally every night with school stuff - so take out or delivery will unfortunately probably be a staple for a little bit.  If you have suggestions for stuff I might be forgetting - mention them.  I might already have it - but I would welcome any reminders in case I just forgot!  Lots of stuff on the registry were already from suggestions by others.  Did you know they make disposable delivery gowns?  I had no idea.....I don't want one - I just found it fascinating.  I'm still deciding if I just bring something of my own or wear the hospital garb.  I wouldn't mind the, ahem, support of something from home, but I already feel like a cow in everything I own and the idea of letting them do the laundry is pretty nice....

32 weeks.  Measuring 34 :-\

We also had our tour of the St. Alphonsus Family Maternity Center, where we'll be delivering Bambino.  VERY nice.  It is certainly a more "home like" setting.  They put lots of thought into little details.  All their birthing rooms have either jetted tubs or showers - they also have a jacuzzi room (first come, first serve) - a 24 hr pantry with coffee, toast, flavored ice, water.  I'm thinking Chris will be getting nice and familiar with that coffee.  Their post delivery rooms are very cozy - they even have double beds!!  Yes, hospital double beds - the kind that can move up and down, but Chris or Little Lady could cuddle comfortably in there with Bambino and me.  The beds even have comforters too - not thin little hospital blankets.  Half the rooms have double, half have single - you can guess which one I'm rooting/asking for. There is no nursery - they really try to promote spending as much time with baby as possible - baby rooms in with you.  I prefer that, of course. 



They do have a little area behind the nurse's station they can keep baby in for a little bit if you must have a break or baby needs to be looked at for anything.  After delivery you get a (free) 30 minute massage - or if you don't want to use it they give you a voucher to come back to use it.  There is also a "celebration" dinner for you and your partner, served with sparkling cider, and you get to order from a special menu.  The highlight of the tour for Little Lady was the playground.  The maternity center is an entirely different building, right next to the hospital.  In the center are several gardens for walking during labor - or just relaxing.  One area has a playground.  It is located by the postpartum rooms so you can see your kids through the window if you want.  Everything is so geared towards families.  Very nice and comforting.  Of course - they have the medical stuff too - the OR is right at the end of the hall in the birthing area, but it isn't marked or anything so you don't even notice it.  They have portable monitoring stuff so you can still walk around while being monitored (if it is fine with your caregiver).  The NICU is in the same building, just on the top floor, and the high-risk pregnancy beds are in the same building as well, by the postpartum rooms. 

So, very nice place, comfortable setting, nice staff, and so, so, so family friendly.  Everything here in Boise is.  I have taken little lady with me to every dr. appt - even the 1 hr glucose test and sonogram (prob a 2 hr appt total) and no one was bothered.  I recall many signs at my previous OB in Frederick stating children were NOT allowed in the sonogram room......

Well, back to my chores!  Maybe a little crafting for Baby C while I'm at it.........trying to enjoy the silence of nap time while it lasts.....

3 comments:

  1. Is it an option for you to have Colette with you for the delivery? Allison was with us the whole time except for the last five minutes. That time she spent with an old Amish grandmother in the next room, but she came in immediately after. It does solve a lot of issues to have her there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think she would handle it very well. She is very sensitive to other people being upset or "uncomfortable" and wants to fix it and make it better. Not to mention I think she would get bored and tire out. We would also then have to have someone at the hospital with us to watch her and I can't gaurantee we can swing that. :-/

      Delete
  2. Everything sounds so comfortable at the delivery section of the hospital! I'll be praying that everything is as smooth as it can possibly be when Little C is ready to be born. A friend of mine had a doula (about 11 years ago). I got to her house before the doula did and her labor was so fast the doula was with her less than an hour (I think). My friend had another child, who I was staying with after she left for the hospital. Fortunately, he slept through the whole thing. Try to relax knowing that God is in control of everything and already has your delivery all planned out. Love to all! :)

    ReplyDelete